Wednesday 21 September 2011

Contemporary Melt

"Agents were released into the concrete wilds and followed the protocols to fade seemlessly amongst us. Their training was flawless. We never stood a chance, even those of us who knew they were there.

The first sign of a third wave was the disappearance of squirrels. Most wouldn't notice their absence for weeks but I have a certain backgound and was suspicious within hours.

Those early days tested my will power, any move might expose me and if this happened the consequences would be devastating. So I dug deep and continued as a was. It's funny, it became easier after that but the situation was untenable and the events which later transpired on Westminster Bridge were, in type, inevitable.

I reached the bridge shortly after midday. Traffic was one way. I looked it in the eye and it looked back, every one. When they turned I was ready and when I jumped so were they. The nets came out. I often wondered at the nets, at the technology thousands of years old. I suppose there was never a need to advance, no drive for progress, no mechanism for change. In a way I admired this as much as I resented it. Cold hands took me in and hold me here still. It's funny." William S. Simpson on the eve of his seventh marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment