Friday 21 October 2011

Oh, ooh, Satisfaction

The first time I saw that face it was smiling but yesterday it was altogether different. He wouldn't say what happened in between. No, scratch that, he couldn't say.

All the time he was away there were rumours of course: A sighting in the Gulf of Mexico, a dubious photo of an imminent bungee jump, a drunken answering phone message and a laughably spurious assault charge. He was a lot of things but never that.

I suppose there were clues when I knew him. You could never quite pin down where he was from or how old he was. "We're all both young and old." he would say "Ain't hardly no difference between."

Asked about his parents he would reply "I guess we've got a load in common. Not that you'd know it."

"My childhood was unremarkable."

"Oh, come on. Everyone's childhood is remarkable to them"

It would go on like this.

Certainly there were events in between which were regrettable but I couldn't honestly say how they played out.

No comments:

Post a Comment